11th Day

A Comment Policy
This is a realy difficult task for me right now. I’ve been reading all through several different conversations, adding diigo “sticky notes” to Neville Hobson’s “Terms of Use” and Michelle Martin’s “Newbie Guide”, and agreeing with a post by Kate Foy about not feeling the need of an explicit comment policy, but the task itself seems too hard.
Maybe I should do it with my students instead of kind of imposing them a set of rules; I will tell them about the eventual issues concerning comments, then I will give them some guidelines to reflect about it; as soon as they will be ready to discuss it, we will organize a class “assembly” and we will write down what they agree to adopt as our comment policy.
I will translate the “Newbie Guide”, if Michelle allows me, so that their reflections may rely on a “legal document” as a solid reference.
Up till now, we never had any trouble with comments, as even spam hasn’t noticed our existence; as for the kids themselves, their “on-line behavior” has been correct, so far, on the School Moodle platform or in our crazy pbwiki.
May be all went well because we have moved to “web land” just recently, and also because these students are young enough to feel honored for having been empowered as administrators.
Today is actually the 12th day of comment08.

3 thoughts on “11th Day

1. Pingback: Comment Challenge Week 2 | Mobile Technology in TAFE

2. I think that word “policy” is throwing people off. What I really meant was something on your blog that explains to people that you invite comments, how they can leave comments and any guidelines you may have about how you manage them (i.e., all comments are moderated or you reserve the right to delete nasty comments, or whatever). I definitely DON’T think that a comment policy should be something that discourages people from leaving a comment, which a more “legal” kind of policy will probably communicate to people.

3. I currently agree with Kate Foy about a comment policy but need to read Michele’s articles in case they change my opinion. But saying that I think having a comment policy on students blogs is definitely important to ensure they act in a responsible manner. Its also an excellent idea that you get them involved with forming that policy because it gives them ownership.